To receive updates or to learn more about YouthBuild Public Charter School enter your email above and press enter
YouthBuild Public Charter School (YouthBuild PCS), an independently-operated public charter school in the District of Columbia, was established in 2005 as an outgrowth of an effective program begun in 1995 by the Latin American Youth Center. It is one of the few alternative schools in the District of Columbia that serves youth ages 16 -24 who have dropped or aged out of traditional high schools.
YouthBuild Public Charter School (YBPCS) is an alternative high school for young people seeking to transform their lives by re-engaging in their education in a non-traditional school environment. YBPCS prepares students for post-secondary education and the workplace by offering, in English and Spanish, academic, vocational and workforce development programs. YBPCS believes that service to the community is an essential part of the transformative process. Therefore, students serve their community through volunteer projects and by creating housing for low income residents in the Washington, DC metropolitan area.
- We believe all young people can learn and transform themselves when engaged in a safe and caring environment with positive values.
- We believe developing leadership skills is essential in order for young people to achieve their career aspirations.
- We believe when young people are held to high expectations they are empowered to perform at high levels and achieve extraordinary outcomes.
- We believe the intelligence of young people should be profoundly respected.
- We believe service to the community builds a sense of connection, ownership and responsibility to others.
- We believe failure is a catalyst for change that leads to success in life and learning.
- We believe success is achieved through rigor, perseverance and commitment to continued development.
- We believe by acquiring a high school credential, young people broaden their opportunities.
Our governance has been crafted to embrace our community, families and staff. YouthBuild PCS is overseen by a Board of Trustees that includes educators, financial experts, business owners, union leaders, construction specialists, community partners, fundraising professionals, and alumni. YouthBuild PCS is an independent 501(c) (3) non-profit organization authorized by the District of Columbia Public Charter School Board to operate as a public charter school.